Amundsen Scott Antarctic Research Facility
The Amundsen-Scott Antarctic Research Facility

The Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station is the southernmost continually inhabited place on the planet. Its name honors Roald Amundsen who reached the South Pole in December 1911, and Robert F. Scott who reached the South Pole the following month.

It was constructed in November 1956 to support the International Geophysical Year in 1957, and has been continuously occupied since then. It currently lies within 100 meters (330 ft) of the Geographic South Pole. Because it is located on a glacier, the station drifts towards the pole at the rate of about 10 meters per year (about 33 ft/yr). Although the US has continuously maintained an installation at the South Pole since 1957, the central berthing, galley, and communications units have been constructed and relocated several times. Each of the installations containing these central units has been named the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station.

In January of 2009 the Amundsen-Scott facility was completely destroyed by the combination of an accidental power surge from Noriko Amagi and the near detonation of a 100-megaton nuclear warhead codenamed "Munin."

Important Scenes

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License