Brick House
The Brick House
Current Status Abandoned
People Come Here For… Shelter

The New York Architectural Terra Cotta Company Building, at 42-10 - 42-16 Vernon Boulevard in the shadows of the Queensboro Bridge, was designed by Francis H. Kimball in 1892.

The New York Architectural Terra Cotta Company was one of the leading manufacturers of terra cotta between 1886, when the firm was founded, and 1928, when it went bankrupt. The company manufactured terra cotta for such landmarks as the Ansonia Hotel and Carnegie Hall.

This small office building displays the range and potential of the products manufactured by the company. Kimball was a pioneer in the use of ornamental terra cotta, as can be seen, for eample in his Montauk Club in Park Slope, also fabricated by this firm. This office structure is all that remains of the factory grounds, once lying in the shadow of an immense production building that has long since been demolished. Tunnels connecting the old foundation of the demolished factory are rumored to still connect to the office building.

The New York Architectural Terra Cotta Company Building was designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1982. In 1999 the building was purchased from the city by entrepreneur Karl Rourke for renovation, but nothing was done with the building in the years he owned it.

Following the bomb in 2006, Ferryman operator Andy Rourke (Karl's son) secretly converted the building to Ferrymen use. In 2010 the Ferrymen abandoned the structure in advance of a government raid on the facility. The building has since been taken into government possession, but nothing has been done with the property.

Important Notes on Access

The Brick House cannot be accessed by the front doors. Additionally, all but a handful of windows on the river-side of the house are bricked up, meaning little natural light is let into the building. Ventillation is handled internally by ductwork that Andy has placed in since the building was taken up by the Ferrymen.

The only way to access the Brick House is via tunnels that connect from the overgrown cellar hole of the factory that once resided behind the building. Natural vegetation and rubble obscure the entrance.


The Brick House is based on a real-world abandoned building at this very location.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License