Brick House Museum
Owner City of New York Established April 8, 2017
Purpose Memorial and Museum
Status 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Sunday through Thursday

The New York Architectural Terra Cotta Company Building, located at 42-10 - 42-16 Vernon Boulevard in the shadows of the Queensboro Bridge, was designed by Francis H. Kimball in 1892. The company was one of the leading manufacturers of terra cotta between 1886, when the firm was founded, and 1928, when it went bankrupt. They manufactured terra cotta for use in such landmarks as the Ansonia Hotel and Carnegie Hall.

Following the 2006 explosion in Midtown Manhattan, Ferryman operator Andy Rourke, son of the structure's owner Karl Rourke, secretly converted the building for Ferrymen use. In 2010, the Ferrymen abandoned the structure in advance of a government raid on the facility. Following the formation of the Safe Zone, the "Brick House" was renovated and repaired as part of the resettlement efforts initiated by the Praeger administration. SESA converted it into a small museum and memorial for those who fought and died on the side of Phoenix and the Ferry. It contains an archive of pictures, a 20-person cinema that airs Civil War-related documentaries a few times a year, weapons used by the organization under glass, various other artifacts, and a wall listing all the names of the dead, both Ferry Operatives and those who died under the organization's protection. The stoop is covered in fresh flowers, year-round. Admission is free.

Brick House Museum

Additional Info

Grand Central Terminal Mural

In December of 2017 a basement room was added to the museum, comprised of a replica of the Ferrymen Mural once found in Grand Central Station before its collapse. The original mural was painted by members of the Ferrymen over the years from 2007 to 2010 when the safe house was abandoned. The replica mural is is a partial recreation of the original, spanning the four walls of the basement. A display case in the middle of the room contains pieces of the original wall rescued from the ruins of Grand Central Station, as well as a plaque listing the names of known Ferrymen who contributed to the mural.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License